While there is so much to be thankful for... 2 weeks ago, was not such a great week in the Garee household. For starters, and I'm sure some of you will think I'm absolutely nuts for saying this- but I am really so, so sad about Paul Walker's death. He always seemed like such a genuine person, and the manner of his death is really just so wretched. The whole thing just makes me so sad. A beautiful person, beautiful spirit. It's just tragic. Maybe it bothered me so much because he was so young? I don't know, somehow it resonated with me. I hope that he and Nelson Mandela rest is sweet peace.
Ok, now that I've gotten that behind me- we also had the joyous experience of Evie's first sleep regression last week! And by joyous, I mean, one morning I had to remind Jason that he could not jump out of his 3rd story window while at work.
 |
| Jas and Ev in the signature hold |
Seriously, we were considering emptying our bank account, throwing up the deuces and taking a month long trip to Europe and enjoying spa days, while we hired someone to stay home and get Evie through her sleep regression. It.was.that.awful.
Lucky for us, it only lasted 4 days. But those 4 days were rough. And by rough I mean, I'm not sure I can ever go through that again and maintain my sanity. Oh these times were hard...
The girl WOULD NOT nap. She was a crab. I didn't take pictures of her that week like I normally do because she was never happy. She never smiled. She fussed at everything. She pouted. She didn't want to lay. She didn't want to sit. She didn't want to bounce. And then, after these miserable days with her- there was an even more miserable night. She would wake up every 1-2 hours (and this is a baby that has been sleeping a solid 10-12 hours at night without waking, since she was 10 weeks old). She would cry, inconsolably. We would try everything, and finally after what was often over an hour of hardcore effort- get her back to sleep. One night, Jason was bouncing her so much (all while saying "I'd like to see you do this, Steph! It's all in the quads, and I don't think your quads can handle this!") he actually made himself puke. This was after he dripped sweat all over her. OMG. Awful. Never want to do it again.
 |
| Looking like she's up to no good |
She is now back to her normal, chipper self. Thank G. I've heard of sleep regressions lasting for weeks... Jas and I both said we would die if that ish lasted for weeks. Literally die. Ok, so I might have a flare for the dramatic (insert Cam from Modern Family moment-here)... but it was bad, y'all!
Moving on.
Ms. Evie has been working on a new skill- sitting! Tripod style. So cute.
 |
| First attempt about 2 weeks ago...kinda floppy |
 |
| The other night- upright independently! |
Her favorite activity though, is to stand. That girl will stand all day long. She holds onto my fingers and just stands up, looking around. I don't know if this means she will walk before she crawls- because sister seems to be absolutely NOWHERE near crawling. She never gets her knees under her- I don't think she can bear all that belly weight. Girlfriend likes to eat. At least she comes by it honestly.
 |
| Twerk Team |
We are about to start solids. I'm going to the grocery store today and will probably try a few things out this weekend- I'm off for the weekend! Amazing! Not even sure what to do with myself having a whole weekend off. I'm sure there will be some pictures to come. We're doing this totally hippie technique of introducing solids, that a few of my friends think I'm crazy for, but it's called
Baby Led Weaning. The crux of it is essentially no spoon feeding, no purees. Babies feed themselves. Real food. I'm super excited about it. I like the idea of being able to give Evelyn choices, and the option to eat what she wants, at her own pace. Hoping that this will breed healthy eating habits in the future. Cheers to trying! I'm sure there will be some
interesting extremely messy pics to come.
Other exciting news in the Garee household is that Evie now naps OUTSIDE of the swing. Legit, we put her in that swing for naps every single day since she was around 2 weeks old. We have given up the swaddle and swing, and have been putting her in the Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit (per recommendation of my friend Kara, also a new Mama) in her crib for all naps- and she has done AMAZING! She was always swaddled, and now we put her down for naps and nighttime sleep in this fantastic suit. She loves it. I'm not going to say that every experience of putting her down for sleep is a piece of cake, but I would say it's at least 5 times easier than before. Often, I'm even able to put her in the crib awake and she will fall asleep on her with some classical music on. This is a vast improvement from before and I completely welcome this new change in our routine. I love you
Merlin Sleepsuit!
 |
| Sleeping |
No teeth yet... but Ev loves to chew on anything and everything. I haven't seen any signs of actual teeth coming in yet- so who knows when that will be. But for now, keep your jewelry, fingers, nose (yes, she tried to chew on my nose), bottles...clear, or she can and will try to chew on it.
 |
| One of her favorite things to chew on...besides my finger |
This is definitely a busy age... some days I miss the little newborn she once was. She's definitely a lot more work now- lots of entertaining all day long. She doesn't like to be bored. She loves to discover. Unfortunately, with the weather turning so cold (as often happens in Winter, go figure), we haven't been able to take as many long walks as we used to. We may have to start taking some strolls inside the mall or something. She has always loved those walks.
 |
| Looking around with Uncle Shane |
At the same time, I also kind of love this age. Next week she will be 6 months old (where does the time go?!), and each day I see a little bit more of her personality coming out and it's been such a joy to discover who she is. Currently I would describe her as: fiercely independent, strong willed, happy, curious, active, adaptable, shy and tenacious. Looking forward to seeing how these things may or may not change or further develop.
I suppose that's all for now. It's been a while since I've been on here! This chicklit is keeping me busy!
Until next time...
Oh, here is a couple pictures of Evie with her first stocking that arrived in the mail today!
Comments
Post a Comment