It's my life, it's now or never... I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive (it's my life). My heart is like an open highway, like Frankie said, I did it my way...I just want to live while I'm alive, it's my life.

Ok, by now I'm sure many of you are tired of hearing about the 'Caitlyn Jenner thing'... Whether you're totally for it, and just feel like we're beating a dead horse here, or you're totally against it and you're sick of hearing about it all day every day... Or you're in the middle, and don't really care whether we hear about it or not... I feel like there is something that every single person can take away from that situation, regardless of your beliefs and views... and that is living your life authentically.

For those that know me well, you know I don't sugarcoat. I don't try to paint a happy-dappy picture of unicorns and rainbows... I tell it like it is. The good, the bad and the ugly. For the most part anyway... I mean, I have Instagram on my phone and will happily use a filter and creative cropping. Let's be real here... I'm not perfect, and not the poster child for authenticity- but I certainly try to be real, as much as I can. I certainly could be more real...

Occasionally, when doing a quick scroll through Facebook or Insta or a brief chat with friends and I read that "Little Billy is a perfect angel; he started sleeping through the night the very first night we came home, he never cries, he never spits up, he mastered baby sign language by the age of 3 months, he started doing college level chemistry by 1 year old, he skipped the terrible 2's, and was an olympic sprinter by the tender age of 3"- and I call bullshit.




Now, Billy may be a totally amazing child, gifted even... But, every single second with that kid isn't the bliss that you paint it to be. And if you admit that to yourself and anyone else, you're not a failure...

You're human.




Ahhh, to be human. To be perfectly imperfect. To admit that... to not take the perfect picture, to admit that your kid pissed all over the floor during potty training, or didn't sleep through the night until they were 18 months... To admit that, means that you are living your life authentically.

And ya know what? That's not only good for you... But that's good for others too.

Take the brand new mother, first week at home with her newborn child... and that kid is up every hour... If you turn around and tell her "Well, Susie never did that, she slept through the night from birth." Then that poor mother is stuck worrying that something is wrong with her child... or with her. And to compound that every day with some new happenstance? That poor mother must be sick with worry... I sure know I would. And lets be honest- NO CHILD SLEEPS THROUGH THE NIGHT FROM BIRTH! It just isn't true. Maybe in your blissfully happy memories you have blocked out the multiple nightly wakings of those early weeks at home- but if you truly think your kid slept through the night since birth, then you have some severe memory loss, or have suffered some head trauma... and I am worried about you.

But to keep it real... To be honest... "Well, Bobby certainly had his sleep troubles, but I found that a really nice tight swaddle, some white noise and a Rock N' Play worked wonders" is much more helpful and less condemning than some of the alternatives.

I realize my examples have to do with parenting, but living authentically shouldn't even be confined to parents... Everyone should do their best to live an authentic and true lifestyle.

Sure, we all want to put our best foot forward, and make a good impression- so we crop our photos just so, and use the perfect filter to get the right lighting so that you don't look too washed out... And, there is nothing wrong with that- as long as there is balance. The good and the bad. Every once in a while, that imperfect photo comes through. Or you admit you made a mistake. Or you take down the walls for a bit and get real and honest.

Being true to YOURSELF is the biggest first step. Loving yourself, flaws and all- well, that paves the way for healthy living.

So regardless of your views on the Jenner transition, maybe you can take a step back and appreciate that situation for what it really is... It's not someone trying to diminish feminism, it's not someone touting themselves as a hero, it's not someone trying to destroy your family... It's someone trying to live life authentically. And I applaud you for that, Caitlyn Jenner.

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is Youer than You" Dr. Seuss

Comments