Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with pain, Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain... now the dark days are done, and the bright days are here my Sunny one shines so sincere, Sunny one so true I love you.

Our beautiful, sweet, sunshine after the storm, beloved Honeybun died after a routine spay surgery this week. Our hearts are broken in a way that I can't adequately describe. 

I haven't written a blog entry in quite some time, but I just felt this need to write. When I feel helpless, this is my catharsis. The song in the title 'Sunny' was the song I sang over and over while we were waiting to get our sweet Honeybun. I even used to sing it to her when she was really little and she would fall right asleep. She probably wanted to avoid listening to my singing, but I digress. She was to be our 'Sunshine' after the storm of the last year.  

Wednesday morning she was her happy, perky self. Like most labs she was always mischievous, but I had worked so hard with her and she was easily redirectable and always loved a good treat. She was incredibly smart and knew some pretty cool tricks like 'lay down', 'roll over', 'shake', 'leave it'... and I would walk around the corner and do 'stay' and she would give me this look like 'what in the world are you doing, woman?!' but she would stay. 

She always greeted anyone who walked through the door with her tail wagging, excited little jumping, getting dog hair all over you kind of way. And she loved her pack. Fiercely. She loved the water and jumped into our little swimming pool out back more than once. 


We only had 4 months with her. She was supposed to grow into this wonderful adult dog for our family. I told Weston just last week when he was asking how long Honeybun would live- that he would probably be graduating high school before she died. 

And here we are. 

It feels like someone pulled the rug out from under us. We fall in love with this sweet animal, she becomes a part of our family and we take her in for what it supposed to be a completely routine surgery, on a very healthy not even quite 6 month old dog and not even 24 hours later she dies. It feels like some kind of bad dream that I can't wake up from. 


Our vet is devastated. When he called to tell me that she had died he said "My insides are just a mess. I can't believe it. She was doing really well." The preliminary autopsy didn't show anything obvious, but we will have to wait several weeks for the detailed autopsy from the pathologist. 

Sadly, there is absolutely nothing that we can do to bring our sweet girl back. I think everyone who has ever lost a pet understands the pain and the ache that I have in my soul. But my god, she was just a baby. We needed more time. 







Rest in sweet peace Honeybun. We love you and we will miss you more than we could ever say. 

Comments