Cause I've got a hand for you, I've got a hand for you... Cause I wanna run with you, ah won't you let me run with you? Hold my hand, want you to hold my hand, Hold my hand.. I'll take you to the promised land. Hold my hand, maybe we can't change the world but I wanna love you, the best that, the best that I can.
So, many of you may or may not be familiar with Maria Kang. This is the woman who posted the alleged "fat shaming" photo of her in a little barely-there workout outfit, and her 3 kids, with the caption "What's your excuse?" She has come under fire for this post. I mean, I think it's fabulous when these women who have kids are able to get to the gym on a daily basis. I must admit, I am a bit jealous. I would love to even get 15 minutes away to get a shower on the daily- going to the gym is a pipe dream. But, I will say, Maria Kang isn't the only one making me feel inadequate.
Just 5 minutes scrolling through Pinterest, and I think to myself that I'm in some way unfit. Theseshrew's mom's are able to create an entire playhouse for their kids from 2 pieces of recycled organic (of course it's organic-anything inorganic is poison, ya know) cereal boxes, a piece of thread from an old, torn piece of clothing, a purple marker and some Mod Podge. And this shit looks amazing! For me, it's a miracle if I actually change Evie out of her pajamas and into an outfit for the day.
And, it's not just limited to this. I feel like parents are constantly competing against each other for the title of "Best Parents" and they're always trying to prove this mentality of "my kid is better, smarter, faster, cuter, than yours". It's absurd. If my kid can't color inside the lines, and isn't perfectly dressed with hair neatly combed, and fastened with a perfect pink barrette every day- but she's happy- who the hell cares?!
One of the most appalling topics for me to read on some of the new parent forums is the great debate between breastfeeding and formula feeding. People will downright claim that you do not care about your child if you give them formula! WTF?! How could one parent say this to another? It's insanity!
I feel like there is even an element of this found in people who do not have children. I think people began asking when Jason and I were going to have kids within a month of us being married, and this continued all the way up until I announced my pregnancy. And, when I often responded that we didn't know if we were going to have children, it would be followed up with a a 'why not?'. I didn't know how to answer that! The more people pushed, the more it made me not want to have a child. It took us 8 years from when we got married to finally have a child- for multiple reasons. Just because you're married doesn't mean you will have children- and if you make the choice not to have children, or have fertility issues and are unable to bear children does that really make you any less of a person? Why should you be shamed for your circumstances or choices? If you're a couple and just enjoying being together, why do you need to be made to feel like you're doing something wrong if you do not have kid? It's not right, but yet I see it happen all the time.
I'm left asking myself- why the competition? Why the shaming? Why the judgement? Since when is your best not good enough? To me, if the kid is alive and growing that should be considered a success and we should all be celebrating each other! This world is tough enough as it is, why do we feel the need to shame other people who are doing the best that they can?
I tip my hat to you (or "cheers" you with my wine glass- GASP! Drinking wine?! While breastfeeding?!) people with kids, who are keeping them clean (well, clean enough), full bellied, happy (well except for during those fussy periods in the evening), and alive (I mean seriously, this is a MAJOR accomplishment). And, if you're a single parent- I tip my hat to you... twice. I don't know how you do it. To those who do not have children whatever your circumstances may be, I GIANT "cheers" you too- there is nothing wrong with you! If you choose not to have children- you will still have a full and happy life! And I may be slightly jealous about the amount of sleep you're able to get, and hot showers you are enjoying. Do not let other people bring you down. And if you're trying to have a child, whether through adoption or via pregnancy- my heart is with you! And I hope that you get what your heart desires.
You all rock. Like for real. Don't let the bitches bring you down.
And I'm spent. That is all.
Just 5 minutes scrolling through Pinterest, and I think to myself that I'm in some way unfit. These
And, it's not just limited to this. I feel like parents are constantly competing against each other for the title of "Best Parents" and they're always trying to prove this mentality of "my kid is better, smarter, faster, cuter, than yours". It's absurd. If my kid can't color inside the lines, and isn't perfectly dressed with hair neatly combed, and fastened with a perfect pink barrette every day- but she's happy- who the hell cares?!
One of the most appalling topics for me to read on some of the new parent forums is the great debate between breastfeeding and formula feeding. People will downright claim that you do not care about your child if you give them formula! WTF?! How could one parent say this to another? It's insanity!
I feel like there is even an element of this found in people who do not have children. I think people began asking when Jason and I were going to have kids within a month of us being married, and this continued all the way up until I announced my pregnancy. And, when I often responded that we didn't know if we were going to have children, it would be followed up with a a 'why not?'. I didn't know how to answer that! The more people pushed, the more it made me not want to have a child. It took us 8 years from when we got married to finally have a child- for multiple reasons. Just because you're married doesn't mean you will have children- and if you make the choice not to have children, or have fertility issues and are unable to bear children does that really make you any less of a person? Why should you be shamed for your circumstances or choices? If you're a couple and just enjoying being together, why do you need to be made to feel like you're doing something wrong if you do not have kid? It's not right, but yet I see it happen all the time.
I'm left asking myself- why the competition? Why the shaming? Why the judgement? Since when is your best not good enough? To me, if the kid is alive and growing that should be considered a success and we should all be celebrating each other! This world is tough enough as it is, why do we feel the need to shame other people who are doing the best that they can?
I tip my hat to you (or "cheers" you with my wine glass- GASP! Drinking wine?! While breastfeeding?!) people with kids, who are keeping them clean (well, clean enough), full bellied, happy (well except for during those fussy periods in the evening), and alive (I mean seriously, this is a MAJOR accomplishment). And, if you're a single parent- I tip my hat to you... twice. I don't know how you do it. To those who do not have children whatever your circumstances may be, I GIANT "cheers" you too- there is nothing wrong with you! If you choose not to have children- you will still have a full and happy life! And I may be slightly jealous about the amount of sleep you're able to get, and hot showers you are enjoying. Do not let other people bring you down. And if you're trying to have a child, whether through adoption or via pregnancy- my heart is with you! And I hope that you get what your heart desires.
You all rock. Like for real. Don't let the bitches bring you down.
And I'm spent. That is all.








love.this.
ReplyDelete