Said all I want from you is to see you tomorrow...And every tomorrow, maybe you'll let me borrow your heart. And is it too much to ask for every Sunday, and while we're at it, throw in every other day to start.

After 9 months, we finally celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary this week! Amazing. We went out to a restaurant we'd been dying to try, and got a drink at a new bar in Georgetown.
At a new bar on M St called RiRa- a fun little Irish bar. 
On our anniversary, June 18, 2013, I went to my 37 week doctors appointment and was sent directly to Labor & Delivery for an induction of labor for blood pressure issues. We had plans to go out that night to celebrate, but that was thrown out the window. Instead, Jason went home and got a bag together (of course being the slacker I am, I hadn't packed yet), got the dog over to a friends house and tried to get the house in some sort of order for us to bring a baby home. Typical Jason, always taking care of things. That's just what he does. 

And he has continued taking care of things over the last 9 months. 
People often ask me what is the one thing they need to have when they have a brand new baby- and I don't think I can repeat myself enough when I say "A supportive partner"- sure, I can recommend swings, and diapers, and playmats... but what it ultimately comes down to, is having a partner who stretches themselves just as much as you. 
In those early days when the baby would wake up throughout the night, Jas got up for every single feeding. He would change Evie's diaper, and bring her to me in bed for a feeding. And then, he would put her back in the crib after the feeding. When I felt like I wasn't able to leave the couch for hours on end due to insane hours-long cluster feedings, Jason would tidy the house, do the laundry, cook dinner...and feed it to me, because I didn't have any free hands while trying to nurse the baby. 
When I would have days of frustration after dealing with an inconsolable infant the entire day, or feeling like I was going stir-crazy from not being able to leave the house all day- Jason would come home from work early and "relieve" me, so I could take the dog for a walk, or go get a pedicure. And he always did all of these things without complaint. He was happy to do them, and that made everything so much easier. 
As time has moved along, and Evie has grown and matured, she doesn't wake in the night anymore (thank goodness!). I can nurse her with my eyes closed, and I have become a pro at keeping her occupied and thriving. So, the support that Jason provides now looks a little different- but it's ever present. Since Evie was 3 months old, Jas has been watching her all day every single Saturday and Sunday and half of Mondays.... And always without complaint. Some days with Ev are a little more difficult than others, but he has always handled it without a chip on his shoulder. And Evie sure does love her Dada! Whenever he walks in the door after a day at work, she lights up and bounces with glee! And he puts her to bed most nights during the week- I can hear him reading her a book using different voices, or singing her a song. I know that he cherishes this special time with her.
I'm beyond grateful for a father to my child that is not only a wonderful dad, but also the best and most supportive partner I could ask for. I truly don't know if I could've survived the last 9 months without him. And, I truly mean every word of that, from the bottom of my heart. 
"So don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me
Cause you might look around and find your dreams come true- with me."

Happy 8 year anniversary, my love. Cheers to many, many more! Like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better. 




Comments

  1. Steph, read your anniversary bit. So sweet and so true, a true blessing to have a supportive and loving partner. Happy 8th anniversary, love bug, to you and to Jas! HashtagTURNUP Hashtag8yearsdowneternitytogo ♥♥ Alexis J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment