 |
| The sweetest thing |
I sincerely hope everyone has been ready for this exciting
treat. I have been tasked with writing the next blog post update. I know you
are all as excited as I am. Actually I was so excited when I learned about this
I did an “Evelyn” (I pooped my pants then fell asleep).
So this story begins where the previous post left off which
will be EKG day+1. This day started after my restful nights sleep on a lumpy
pull out chair covered in pleather. Somewhat like sleeping inside a Ford Pinto.
Anyway I am dreaming peacefully when all of the sudden there is a thump at the
end of my bed. Initially, I thought it was a kick of reality that someone has
enough of a sense of humor to leave me in charge of another human being but
actually it was Steph. Yes, maybe 6 hours post c-section. She was lying in bed
and decided she wanted to check her phone, which was on the table on the other
side of the room. So she proceeded out of bed with her IV pole in tow. I guess
what happened was when she reached my side of the room with her phone, my bed
was in the way so the IV pole became a battering ram to incite my awakening and
move my a** out of the way so the phone could be reached. I certainly learned
my lesson. The phone was never more than a few inches away the rest of our
stay. I would also like to point out, I didn’t think women recovered this
quickly from a c-section. Must have been the expert hands of Alex and Yesmean
(Steph’s surgeons).
Following the bed assault we proceeded to the NICU to see
baby Evie. Sparing everyone the gory details I will summarize Evie’s stay in
the NICU by saying it was a very unpleasant experience for everyone involved
punctuated by a few bright moments which are highlighted below. While
unpleasant, we were glad Evelyn met all her goals and after a 6 day stay had
gained enough weight and spent enough time maintaining her temp, that she was
able to come home.
NICU Highlights:
I became an actual Dad by going through the extensive
initiation procedure that included being both pooped and peed on while changing
a diaper.
Preemie clothes: We didn’t have any. We never expected to
have such a small baby thus did not have any clothes which actually fit her. So
for the first couple of days she wore some loaner clothes from the NICU. This
lead to some interesting outfits. A pink hat, a blue boys onesie and camo pants
is not necessarily the best look for a little lady. Luckily I don’t think she
minded that much. Ev’s fan club has since rained down an array of outfits that
will ensure she never wears the same outfit twice (at least not for the first 0-3
months).
So while Evie was still in the NICU, Steph got discharged
from her post-op stay. Ever the ones to look for a silver lining- our exit from
Steph’s hospital room lead to a little shenanigan on our part. So the hospital
room contained a bidet, which I determined was still in operation. Thus,
someone dared me to use it. Never one to pass up a dare or the potential for a
funny story I quickly dropped my drawers and got comfortable for a relaxing and
cleansing experience. Whilst sitting on the bidet, Steph says she should get a
picture. Now I am up for a lot but a picture of me sitting on a bidet is not
something I want to subject all of you too. So I decided a compromise would be
a pic of me standing next to the bidet with the water running. So I button up
and go to turn the water on for the picture. What I have underestimated is the
water pressure in the bidet. Next thing I know the bidet is shooting water onto
the ceiling of the bathroom. This lead to raucous laughing by both of us
(thankfully Steph did not tear her c-section stitches- or Alex and Yesmean
would’ve been put to work again on a repair) along with me getting soaked
trying to turn the bidet off while the water is dripping from the ceiling onto
my head. Needless to say we made a hasty exit before anyone discovered the
results of our experiment.
 |
| Bidet |
So two days after Steph was released we finally sprung our
little peanut (or "Thumbelina" as we often call her) from the NICU. Forthcoming posts will focus on her travels home
and her first days home with her sometimes inept, parents.
Until Then,
Jas
I don't normally do pictures- but Steph said people would want to see them. Here they are.
 |
| Read the t-shirt and weep. |
 |
| Poppie with Evie in the NICU |
 |
| The nurse made this for Evelyn's crib |
 |
| It was a great day when she went from "Babygirl Garee" to a girl with a name. |
 |
| Bath time, and boy did she hate it. Still does. |
 |
| Steph with Evelyn |
 |
| Precious |
 |
| On our last night in the hospital we received VIP treatment- because Steph is an employee of the hospital we both received our "Surf & Turf" meal- filet and lobster tail. Amazingly, it was delicious. |
 |
| Hint of a smile |
 |
| Wide awake |
 |
| MeMa with Evie |
 |
| Little lady |
 |
| GiGi with Evelyn in her isolet |
 |
| Tuckered out |
 |
| Sometimes she sleeps with her hands across here chest- I do this too. |
 |
| Grammie with Evie during a feeding |
 |
| Papi with Ev |
 |
| Poor baby, hooked up to an IV and all of her monitors |
 |
| Looking so tiny in her isolet |
 |
| The best moment of our entire NICU stay- when they turned off the monitor and said that we could leave. |
Comments
Post a Comment