They didn't have you where I come from... never knew the best was yet to come. Life began when I saw your face, and I hear your laugh like a serenade. How long do you wanna be loved? Is forever enough, is is forever enough?

Wow! What an insane 4 weeks it has been. It literally feels like it's gone by in a blink.

I will never forget driving home from the hospital... the day I went into the hospital I wasn't expecting to stay and deliver a baby... but driving home, all I kept thinking is NOTHING has changed, this place, this city, this street; everything looks entirely the same... But something drastically has changed, and that's ME.


And here we are, 4 weeks later.

Having a newborn baby around is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I had experienced lack of sleep... spending late nights out at the club or bar, working insanely long shifts and then turning around and coming right back in a few hours later, issues with insomnia- but somehow, I don't feel the same level of fatigue that I once felt after these events. Something about that little brown haired beauty, looking up at you innocently, makes you forget how tired you are, I suppose.

There has been a lot of learning going on in these last 4 weeks... for starters, Evelyn absolutely hates bathing (a trait she must share with her father, because I absolutely love a nice hot shower).  She will scream and cry the entire time. The only thing that will soothe her is when you remove her from the water and wrap her in a towel. Ta-da! Happy baby! {Side note about the bathing- Jas has said that he is now following Ev's bathing schedule... that means every 3 or 4 days is when is going to shower. I will say, this has made our home a bit on the stinky side as Jason can be aromatic. If you are coming to visit, you have been forewarned.}


Evie still has to learn her table manners- in the last 2 weeks, whenever she is nursing she makes the most bizarre sounds, and by bizarre I mean not very lady like. She sounds like a pig, chowing down at a food trough. Snorting and grunting... it's a little scary to have something that sounds like that so close to my lady bits. 
Ms. Piggy
Man, can this kid fill a diaper! I mean- she is just a pooping machine. And even though she has the tiniest butt, she will cover that entire thing with poo. We did discover quite quickly that Huggie's Premie diapers are pure junk. They leaked something terrible! Sticking with the Pamper's from now on.
Poop face?!
Ev is going to be a magician! It's pretty amazing. No matter how tight we swaddle her, she always finds a way to Houdini herself out of the swaddle. I knew she would be talented, I just didn't know where her talents would lie. Clearly, becoming a magician is in her future.
I always feel like, somebody's watchin' me...
One other important thing that I learned that no one really warned me about beforehand, is if you are nursing, you will feel like a 24 hour dairy for the first several weeks. There have been moments that I have questioned whether or not my entire purpose on this earth is to produce milk and feed an infant. You literally feel like you cannot do anything besides park it on the couch and feed. I really had no idea. Pay it forward.
Spock?
Oh, this one is kind of fun... if you didn't gain much weight in pregnancy (the day I delivered I was up 11 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight), you will lose quite a bit after delivery. I am now down 14 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight- this is a total of 25 lbs lost since I delivered. Wow!

The Moby Wrap is not as cumbersome as it seems. And this little diddy has been an absolute lifesaver! Evie loves it- it's comfortable to wear and it makes you look like a ninja (bonus points!). If Channing Tatum can rock one, I can rock one. P.S. I love you, Channing!
Mobyin' it up
There is no such thing as too many pictures. My phone keeps yelling at me that I'm out of storage space, and somehow I manage to keep piling on the pictures. Ev doesn't seem to mind...
Paparazzi. 

No caption needed
Zoolander
Meals are meant to be consumed with a baby in one arm and a fork in the other. I will admit, this was a little daunting at first, but with time I think I have perfected the art of forking something 4 feet away, and I would say 40% of the time, getting the food into my mouth, works every time. All of my fine silks and cashmere are thankfully in storage- I'm completely a cotton t-shirt girl now. Baby spit up is now a daily accessory.

With all of this learning one might wonder if your brain might feel overloaded... Not at all. I think that's where the lack of sleep comes in... your brain feels like mush anyway.
Melt. So worth it. 

Comments

  1. You are too funny girl! Love the post, and LOVE the pics, she's so stinkin cute <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Bathing every 3 or 4 days! thats great. Pretty sure our last 2 boys got a bath every other month;) Well, Steph, it seems like things are pretty normal for you guys now, thank the Lord! Also - for your meals, maybe try rocking a bouncy seat with your foot, or doing the swing? Those worked for us but I know every baby is very different. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment