I don't get many things right the first time.. In fact, I am told that a lot. Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls-brought me here. And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it everyday and I know that I am, I am, I am the luckiest.
I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you...
As I am now nearly 22 weeks pregnant with this new little babe, I've been reflecting upon what my now, post-kid self would say to my pre-kid self... and I've begun compiling a little list. I think that my friends that have kids may agree with many of these items, many of them may not... To my friends that are newly pregnant, trying to get pregnant or are far along in your pregnancy- seriously, read this. And let it simmer.
#1. You will screw up. All the time. Legit, I'm convinced parenting is one giant screw up. And screwing up is ok. It's all par for the course. I've heard of babies rolling off of changing tables or beds (apparently this happens to almost everyone- we've had more close calls than I care to count, but she has never actually fallen... KNOCKING ON SOME SERIOUS WOOD RIGHT NOW!). But, we have still had our fair share of 'whoopsies, my bad' moments over the last 15 months. Thankfully, E has managed to avoid broken bones or needing stitches. V for Victory!
#2. Savor every moment you have to yourself- enjoy those moments of thinking about nothingness. This will soon become a luxury... and even when you are alone, you will still have your kid on your mind. I can honestly say, I have never truly felt carefree since having Evie. When she is not with me, I'm wondering how she's doing, what she's up to. I never really have completely mindless moments of free time to myself anymore.
#3. Eat as many delicious, 4-course meals as you can. Since having E, I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten and enjoyed a meal. Now, more often than not, I'm shoveling food into my mouth with the speed of a competitive eater, while trying to a). Feed Evie with the other free hand b). Keep Evie from knocking something over/climbing onto something she shouldn't/pulling the dogs tail. There is no "savoring each bite"- it's usually some gourmet Chef Boyardee that I am merely eating for sustenance... if you can call it that.
#4. Read a book. For fun. At least one a week before you have a kid. My only time to read a book now is during nap time (of which I'm usually trying to pick up the tornado like mess that has become our house). Although lately, I try to keep up with my blogging during nap time once a week... this kid with a laptop around is like a moth to a flame. Cannot.keep.her.away.
#5. Go to the movies. A lot. I haven't set foot in a theater in I don't even know how long. In the evenings after E goes to bed, I'm usually too exhausted to actually sit down and watch a 2 hour movie. I generally eat and go to bed by 9. So lame. And there are legit like 200 movies I want to see. Maybe when they kids start school? Although, who am I kidding? I will never see those movies. So, if there is something you want to see- see it now!
#6. Build the strongest foundation you possibly can with your partner. Thankfully for Jas and I, we were married for 8 years before having Evie- so we had had a lot of time to work on a strong foundation for our marriage. But I will say, having a kid will shake that foundation. Even after 8 years, we definitely still have our huffy moments. But, we've learned to communicate and that really makes a lot of difference. I will admit though, even though we know how to communicate effectively, we don't always do it. You definitely will have to continue to work at your marriage each and every day... which is hard in the presence of a needy infant/toddler/kid/teenager (oh gosh... teenager...shudder).
#7. Travel! Get that travel bug out of your system- because at least for me, I find it way too challenging to do with a baby. Due to Jason's work schedule, I would have to travel by myself, and the thought of lugging all of E's gear, through an airport, by myself makes me tired just thinking about it. I went to Germany when I was around 26 weeks pregnant with Evie... and I'm so thankful I made that trip. I had such a nice time. The flight was long, but it was a great trip. And I really have no idea when I will be getting back to Germany again.
#8. Spend quality time with your friends. Even though you don't want it to, your relationships with your friends will dramatically change after you have a kid. For example, I was texting Andi the other day, and all of a sudden went from full on sentences to one-word answers... and she said "Evie must be taking your attention because I'm only getting one-word answers now"- YUP! Completely, 100% accurate. I wanted to continue our conversation, but having a whiney 15 month old hanging on your leg, makes texting beyond one word answers a little more than a challenge. Thankfully most of my friends understand. but I do wish I would've spent some more time with many of them before having a kid. You will grow to love and appreciate your other friends with kids because they really get it- they understand having to drop the phone mid conversation, or canceling plans last minute. They've been there. Jill and I have been planning a play date for about 5 weeks now. One of these days, it will actually happen. I just know it. The kids may be graduating high school... but it will happen.
#9. Clean your house like you have never cleaned it before... I mean, scrub that shit down. God only knows how long it will be before it will ever be that immaculate again. And while you're at it, enjoy your furniture now... It will soon be looking quite different. I'm actually so thankful we didn't splurge and get new furniture when we had originally talked about it. It would've been a complete waste.
#10. Love on your dog, or whatever other pets you may have. They have no idea how much their world is about to be rocked. Your dog will go from being your "fur-kid" to "Oh geez, I haven't fed you in 2 days" overnight. They didn't ask for a new addition to the family. So, spoil them rotten now. Maybe it will give you some leeway once your real kid is around.
#11. Indulge yourself in whatever it is you like to indulge yourself in. Whether it's shopping, pampering, scrapbooking, crocheting, quilting, tiddlywinks... Whatever it is. Do it now. Goodness knows how long it will be before you get to indulge yourself in it again. You will quickly find that whatever wants and desires your previously had, will soon be taking a backseat. And I suspect this may be a backseat for the next 18 years. When the kiddos need back-to-school supplies, I can easily see my indulgent pedicure taking a backseat. Gotta set your priorities... and pedicures not quite at the top of the list anymore.
#12. You can never fully prepare yourself or your life for the little life that is about to come into your world. I wouldn't trade having Evie for any of the things on my list, not for one second. But I'd be remiss to say I didn't sometimes wish I had spent a little bit more time engaging in any of the above. I sort of miss those things, but what Evie has given my life instead, far outweighs any of the pleasure I derived from those things (although, I mean a monthly massage is freaking amazing).
Would love to hear what else would be on any of your lists... I'm certain I left out several essentials.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As, I sit about 4 months from the arrival of G2, I'm thinking about how my list from before has changed... and what sorts of things I'm going to savor now...
The other thing is carrying around both kids. How does this work? You must have to carry one at a time. Or, I'll just have to carry Evie by way of piggy back. Um, that sounds awful.
If I'm barely eating now, will I just completely stop eating once the second one arrives? Hellllooooo diet plan!
These are just a few of my questions as I sit here watching on the monitor Evie refuse her nap this afternoon. I guess we're in a transitional phase? Some days she wants to nap, other days she doesn't. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, you get a big ol' napless slap in the face to remind you that you really don't know jack.
Until next time...








I've always thought about this and your list sums up all of my thoughts.
ReplyDelete