With arms wide open, under the sunlight, welcome to this place- I'll show you everything. With arms wide open, now everything has changed, I'll show you love, I'll show you everything...
After popular request, I have decided after an extremely extended hiatus to rebirth (ha!) the blog... so here we are. And I thought I'd take this opportunity to bring you all up to speed on what is going in the life of the Garee's. As you can see in the picture above- no that's not a kidney friends, it's a BABY. Like a for real one. O.M.G.
November 1st I was supposed to have surgery on my foot. I wasn't really looking forward to the downtime post surgery, and to be honest, the recovery had made me nervous about the whole procedure in the first place. But anyway, Jas came with me to the hospital for my surgery, I got all checked in. The nurse was a bit crazy (which I totally loved!) and we were laughing and having a grand ol' morning. She was about to start my IV after looking over my chart, and she said, "Oh, it looks like we should do a pregnancy test before we get things started." I assured her over and over again that there was no way I was pregnant, that I was pretty irregular, but I certainly understood the need to have all the ducks in a row before we proceeded so I obediently waddled to the bathroom in my oh-so-stylish hospital gown to give them a urine sample. Boy were we in for a surprise...
The nurse promptly took my urine and disappeared. Jas and I began having some conversation about the weather or the election or some such... and the nurse creeped back in the room a few minutes later. Her bubbly demeanor diminished, and she began to whisper. "I'm sorry, we're not going to be able to to do your surgery today." "My response..."Um, ok?! Why?" Clearly not connecting the dots, the nurse then said "Well, we did your pregnancy test and it was positive." I think my heart stopped beating. I felt like I was going to pass out. It was like I was hearing her, but I didn't have the ability to comprehend what she was saying. I think I mustered out an "Are you sure?" And she said "Yes, we did the test twice to make sure. Congratulations!" I turned to Jas, who was also white as a sheet, and said "Holy Sh*t"- nothing like a classy pregnant lady, right?! To which Jason replied to the nurse- "Are you sure it's mine?!?!" I don't think she quite got Jason's sense of humor, but she responded "Um, sorry, we don't do that kind of test here." (Side note- of course the baby is Jason's... OF COURSE!) So, needless to say, my elective surgery was cancelled and we left the hospital 2+1 for the road. {And I think that nurse is probably still scratching her head about whether or not we were excited about this baby... that or she thought we were some weird back woods folks who have drank too much moonshine or lacquer thinner over the years.}
The next several days were a blur, I began to worry and dwell about the future and ultimately decided that my current career choice was not the best situation for us (all 3 of us), and I decided to leave my director position. It wasn't an easy decision as I have thoroughly enjoyed nursing management, but I know that it will be always be there for me in the future...
Which leads to me where I finally ended up... I thought about it quite a bit, ER is absolutely my first love. I have always been passionate about it. It's a type of nursing care that I truly love, but I was ready to try something completely different. Go big or go home, right??? I remembered how much I enjoyed Labor & Delivery while I was in school, so I decided to see if someone would hire an old ER nurse, turned manager- who now wants to be a staff nurse in L&D...and luckily, I found someone crazy enough who would.
I came back to Georgetown, and I have to say, I am beyond thrilled that I did. The manager of L&D, Cecelia, who I knew from my management days at Georgetown took me in with arms wide open... and I will forever be grateful. Everyone at Georgetown has been so welcoming to me since my return, it's like I'm returning to family or something. The unit I'm working on is great, an amazing bunch of nurses and women up there who have done nothing but teach me and bear with my lack of L&D knowledge. It's not been easy changing it completely up, but I'm loving it. Each day provides a new challenge and excitement. I could not be more grateful for the opportunity.
And that brings me to today. "Lil G" as we have affectionately nicknamed our upcoming bundle of joy, is incubating quite nicely. The second visit to the OB-GYN is this Friday, when I will have a nuchal translucency test and a visit with the NP. Hoping to get a nice "Hi Mom" wave or at least another decent ultrasound picture.
I'm currently at 13 weeks and 4 days. I have felt fantastic! No morning sickness (I know women everywhere probably want to punch me in the face for that, so I apologize), no cravings... I feel pretty much like normal. However, my pants don't fit anymore (even though I've not gained any weight), and I'm a bit more fatigued than usual. However, the last 2 weeks that seems to be resolving.
Lots of questions have been asked regarding what the sex of the baby is...and I will tell you this #1. It's too early to tell and #2. We aren't going to find out. I know, I know... if you know me at all you're probably completely shocked that I...me...moi... do not wish to find out the sex of the baby, but I really don't. I don't judge other people for finding out, but for me I just feel like there are so few surprises in life... and what's another ~20 weeks of not knowing? I just thinking having the baby come out and the doctor saying "It's a boy/girl!!" will be so cool.
So, there it is. Apparently, Jessica Simpson, Kate Middleton, Kim Kardashian, Jenna Dewan (Channing Tatum's wife) and I are all in this thing together. Who'd of thunk it?!
eeeekkkk!!!! LOVE LOVE & more LOVE. Cant wait to spoil this little stinker with, you guessed it, LOVE <3 xo!
ReplyDelete