"Don't know much about you, don't know who you are... we've been doing fine without you, but we could only go so far. I wonder who you'll look like, will your hair fall down and curl? Will you be a mama's boy, or daddy's little girl? Will you be a sad reminder of what's been lost along the way- maybe you can help me find her in the things you do and say."- The things we've handed down;Marc Cohn

Something amazing has happened... When I went to get my sono for the Anatomy Scan (this was the 3rd time because Lil G was refusing to cooperate the other 2 times), #1 Everything with the heart looked GREAT! And #2 I was able to get the first 3D images of Lil G... Drumroll please...


That baby is not a crazy alien faced/skeletor looking one anymore! It has a face! And it's a very cute face! So now the big question is, is that the face of a boy or a girl? I'm leaning back towards GIRL now. Either way, Jason and I will be absolutely thrilled, but seeing that picture really made things a lot more real. Wowza! The girl who sono'd me said I could come back sometime around 28-30 weeks and she would do another 3D ultrasound to get some better pictures, she said the baby will do quite a bit of fattening up between now and then. I will certainly be taking advantage of her most generous offer. Score! {I love working in healthcare!}

A few other things have been going on in the last week- one that hits very close to my heart is that the Supreme Court was hearing cases for Marriage Equality (namely regarding Prop 8-which bans same sex couples from marrying and DOMA- which legally defines marriage as between a man and a woman). Many of you probably saw the RED pictures and = signs on Facebook in support of this. Supporters were asked to wear red, and my friends Jason and Joseph (a lovely couple, who have been together for years and love each other to the moon and back- but sadly would not have a recognized marriage in the State of Texas-YET), asked that I post a pic of me in red with my bump on their wall... here is that pic:

25 week and 4 day baby bump!
I feel like this pic is multipurpose- you see the bump from this week (it's so funny how the ladies just love seeing the bump and the dudes couldn't care less), I'm supporting the Ohio State Buckeyes who are rockin' it this March Madness, Lil G and I are supporting marriage equality (something I fully support and believe in) and you get a mini glimpse of how freaking horrible I look after a string of night shifts. OMG. That is the next item up for discussion- I just got off a stint of nights that completely kicked my ever expanding tooshie!

For starters- women clearly are not delivering in the month of March... our numbers were way down and we had many nights with absolutely NO patients on Labor & Delivery. No Antepartum (pregnant but not actively delivering), no Intrapartum (delivering)...NADA, Zilch! Zippo! I got to know my fellow nightshift crew quite well though, great group of women up on that unit. We bonded as we passed the many hours of anxiously awaiting the arrival of a patient. It was funny actually, if a patient did show up, we would almost fight over who was going to take it. Usually, we ended up just tag teaming it for something to do. I am back in the land of day shift for a week, before switching back to nights for another week. Even with this flip-flopping back and forth, all things considered, I am so much happier now than I was in management. So trust me, I'm not complaining.

Due to our lack of patients this week, I had asked Jas to run me up some reading material. I needed something to help pass the time... So he brought a wonderful collection:


So, on the far left is Cosmo with Kim K on the front. I know a ton of people hate the Kardashians... and will judge me for saying this, but I don't even care- I LOVE Kim K. I love that she's pregnant right now... and I hate that people are bashing her for her weight gain- she still looks fantastic. Now, some of her fashion choices aren't the best... but I think she's turning a corner and I think she looks fantastic. Baby bumps unite! Ok, end rant-moving on, Jas also brought an American Baby and Parents magazine. Great choices. Definitely good reading material. Then we have a Real Simple magazine that my Gammy has gotten me wholly addicted to. And lastly, wait, what does that say?! No, am I reading that right... The Spanish Billionaire's Pregnant Wife?! What the hell kind of title is that?! Flip it over, it's a Harlequin novel. OMG. I have yet to start reading this little gem, but all I can say is move over 50 Shades of Grey, the Spanish Billionaire's Pregnant Wife is in town- okrrrrr?!

More excitement this week... well I'm not sure excitement is the right word, but... BABY FEET. Ok, so any other women who have been pregnant will know exactly what I'm talking about... So, one night shift I was helping a woman deliver and I suddenly felt this aching/sharp-ish pain in my upper abdomen, about an inch below my rib cage. It wouldn't go away... it was almost like a "stitch" that you get in your side sometimes from running... Anyway, well I pushed on the spot that was hurting and something was sticking out! I was keeping my cool together, while helping this woman deliver but in my head I was like- CRAP! Do I have a hernia?! All the way up there?! Oh no! Clearly, I've been pushing it at work too much! I've strained something!!

So, I get through the delivery and I find my lovely OB-GYN friend Yesmean- I said {in typical Steph dramatic fashion}- "Yesmean, I'm dying." She said "Uhh, no?" and I said "Something is sticking out, I think I have a hernia. It hurts. I'm dying." She laughed, touched the spot on my abdomen and started laughing again- she said "You're crazy. That's baby feet." After I lifted my jaw from the floor, I said-"Umm.. excuse me?! Baby feet?! All the way up there?! NOW? No way. I'm only 25+ weeks..." She started laughing again, and said "Let's do a sono, I'll show you." So, we go into triage and do a quick little ultrasound... Sure enough, BABY FEET. 2 of them! Pushing right on that spot on my abdomen. Actually, they looked like they were even dancing a jig. I got my own little surprise when I pushed on those feet- they pushed back... even harder! Owwww! Note to self: don't do that anymore. Interesting to add- the feet had been on my right side, this morning they are on my left. If I push on them (lightly this time) I will feel little punches down in my lower abdomen... It's almost like Lil G has ticklish feet. Still so bizarre. Not sure I'll ever get used to the concept that there is a mini-human in there.

Also new and noteworthy this week, I have been eating Frosted Flakes (what?! I haven't had Frosted Flakes since highschool) like they are being discontinued. Thank goodness they are on sale this week at CVS! They normally charge $6.39/box... and right now they're $3/box! Can't stop.Won't stop. So good.  But, soooo random. Thankfully, I'm still hovering right around my pre-pregnancy weight- I fluctuate from .5 lb to 1 lb over my pre-preg weight... and I'm pretty pleased with that.

I have my Glucose Tolerance Test this coming week- eek! So I may have to lay off the Frosted Flakes for a few days... I don't want to be failing that test! You have to drink this really sugary orange beverage and then have your blood drawn an hour after finishing it. If you fail it, you have to do another test- but wait 3 hours before having your blood redrawn. YUCK! Hoping to pass that test with flying colors... but I'm sure Frosted Flakes won't help me get there.

My sweet friend from highschool -Sara- is in town until Sunday morning. I told her I'm the most boring person in the world to be around, but she is more than welcome to come... and she amazingly jumped all over that. I think we have a rousing weekend of low key activities planned... including becoming one with the couch (did i mention that string of nights kicked my ass?!). So glad to have her here! The last time she was here was in October, for the ColorRun5K... I was in very early pregnancy... and had absolutely no idea. We were joking about how the baby might come out tie-dyed. Ha!



Andi & Blair will be coming to stay with us Sunday night- Thursday AM. We have tickets to the Nats game on Wed. Their visit should be a lot of fun. Blair sent a text out saying that it will be $1 hot dog night at the game on Wednesday! I think I'm more excited about the hot dogs than the game... Is that wrong?

Anyhow, I guess that's all for now! Until next time...


Comments