Love in an elevator, livin' it up while I'm going down... Love in an elevator, lovin' it up til I hit the ground...

35 weeks! 



My how the time flies. I think I may be saying that in every single post, but to know that I could deliver this baby at term in the next 2 weeks is just a bit difficult for me to wrap my mind around. Oh...em...gee!!

Looks like Jas is ready


So this week was awesome... almost. As I've gotten older I've struggled a bit with claustraphobia. It's not as bad as it could be, but I definitely have a lot of anxiety if I feel like I'm trapped or can't easily identify an escape route. Well, last weekend Jas needed to harvest some cells (doesn't that sound like fun?!) in the lab, and asked if I was up to accompanying him... there was a promise of an oreo milkshake after this little journey, so I agreed. We walked up to the lab, and went to get on the elevator (I'm doing a lot of walking, but stairs have been out since like week 16). I pushed the button for our floor, the elevator began to move and abruptly halted to a stop. Insert panic mode. My heart starts pounding, I begin to sweat and my anxiety is through the roof... stuck in an elevator... and 34 weeks pregnant. I'm not going to lie, visions of Zack Morris (to all who aren't familiar he is the main character on Saved by The Bell) delivering a baby on an elevator spring into my mind.

Jas sees that I am not dealing well with this... so what does he do? He pulls open the internal door to the elevator in a Conan the Barbarian kind of way (kinda hot, not gonna lie), and I'm so glad he did because when he did that it revealed the outer elevator doors and I could see light through a little crack in between them and that was just enough to make me a relax a little. If we would've been completely stuck between 2 floors I think I would've completely lost my sh*t.

So, after Jas gives us an air hole, he goes and finds the emergency phone to ring to campus police to come rescue us. A mere 45 minutes later we were rescued by 2 facilities service guys, with a Barney Fife-esque campus policeman there to greet us upon our freedom. Did the cop apologize and say, wow, I'm sorry...no. He wrote down our heights, weights, hair color, eye color and eventually sent us on our way. Um, excuse me?! Do we look like criminals?! Do you think we really wanted to get stuck on an elevator?! Ri-damn-diculous. 

Lovin' life

As you can see, Jas has ripped open the inner doors- Conan the Barbarian style, and in the middle of the G doors is a small crack that I used as a little air hole whenever I got panicky. 

Holla

So that was fun. The fun continued when after I got home from work one night this week and removed my shoes - Jas told me my feet smelled terrible and it was time to cave and get new shoes (I had to quit wearing my Dansko's {nurse shoes} a few weeks ago because they didn't fit anymore). Ok, I've never had stinky feet... this must be another exciting symptom of pregnancy. But, they really were stinky and my shoes have been falling apart... So, yea, I agreed to go to get some new shoes.
I am having trouble tying my stinky shoes... Thankful for friends like Kye that will do it for me... She didn't comment on the smell, but I'm sure she was thinking it was pretty rank down there. 

Advice to anyone who is pregnant or may be becoming pregnant- DO NOT go buy shoes in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It will make you very frustrated and very sad. So, while my feet don't look stuffed sausages like my friend Kim K.'s here... 


Oh, Kimmy... 
They do have some swelling kind of all over. Let's just say, it didn't go well... Images of the step sisters from Cinderella, trying to fit in her glass slipper and epically failing came to mind... as well as joyous visions of Chinese Imperial foot binding danced through my head...


I was nearly in tears, asking for women's WIDE shoes, and these ridiculously huge sizes (I have always been a 7.5...clearly not anymore) and Jas subtly makes the mind boggling and utterly insulting suggestion that maybe we should look in the men's section. By this point I almost completely lost it in the middle of the shoe store. THE MEN'S SECTION?! Listen mister, I have beautiful, dainty feet and there ain't no way I'm looking for some man-ish pair of shoes. He said, "Ok, I just thought you might find something more comfortable for you there." Insert eye roll. I said "Let's just go. You will just have to suffer through the stench, and I will just have to wear holey shoes."

We are walking out of the store, and happen upon the clearance section... Jas says- "You want to take a look?" I begrudgingly concede... and happen upon these little beauts...


They're $35, they're cute...and they fit pretty darn well. Oh, and they're men's... teeheehee. Maybe the doctor does have some sage advice every now and then... don't tell him I said that, I wouldn't want it getting to his head. I got tons of compliments on them at work... and they don't smell! Holla.

In other news, one of the great things about Memorial Day is it usually marks the beginning of pool season. We have a community pool just a block away. It also means temps are rising... and I have never done well in the heat, and at 35 weeks pregnant, in 90 degree heat I am just a hot mess. So, I was really excited that my new friend Hadley, who lives pretty close to us could be my pool buddy. She works on L&D, so that means we have some of the same days off during the week- we could go to the pool together. Perfect! Or not.

Gotta love the good ol' District of Columbia... so the pool is officially open, however- it is not open during the week until June 24th. Um, come again? The end of June?! What is that?!? They are doing weekend only hours until June 24th. Ridiculous. I want to blame the sequester. I want to blame Obama. I want to blame someone! This is an outrage.

Instead, I will just be going to the pool tomorrow with Jas. I'm not happy about it, but this whale needs a good float. So if I have to wait a week between pool trips, then so be it. Le sigh.

I suppose that's it for now. Until next time...


Comments