Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel... Things are gonna work out fine if you only will. Shower the people you love with love, show them the way you feel... Things are gonna be much better if you only will. ~ James Taylor; Shower the People.

Jas and I returned from Ohio Monday afternoon- we went for a long weekend to celebrate with friends and family for 2 absolutely wonderful baby SHOWERS. We both feel so humbled by the number of people who came out to celebrate the upcoming arrival of Lil G, and the sheer number of gifts is completely overwhelming. I still can't believe it. My love cup runneth over, and I'm so incredibly touched and full of thanks.

I worked night shift last week, including Thursday night, so after my shift Jas picked me up and we began the trek to the OH. In my mind I thought- this will be great! I can sleep during the 7 hour drive, arrive in Columbus, be refreshed and beautiful and life will be great. WRONG! Sitting put for 7 hours at 30 weeks pregnant is a freaking nightmare to begin with, and the notion of being able to sleep, in hindsight, is laughable. I couldn't lay my seat back because the car was full of stuff we are storing at my dad's house... I have sciatica so bad in both of my butt cheeks that I'm constantly changing positions, I had to pee and just getting up to pee and quickly go back to sleep is not an option- we have to seek out a rest stop. I got a whole 2.5 hours of sleep, and that was broken up over 3 nap attempts. Needless to say, arriving in Columbus I was not quite "at my best" and Andi spent a solid ten minutes covering up the dark circles and bags under my eyes come Saturday morning.

We decided that since this will be our last trip back to Ohio before we have a little bambino in tow, that we wanted to stay with our dear friends Andi and Blair. They stayed with us a few weeks prior, and we hadn't yet spent the night at their new house. Typically we always stay with one or the other of our parents when we come back for visits, so this was a change. And, I'm so incredibly glad we did it! We had a wonderful time!

Friday night my brother from another mother, PJ, came to town. It was a very brief trip, but he had been looking for cheap flights to DC for quite some time, to no avail. But there was one to Columbus that was reasonable, he just had to make it short. So, 36 hours in Columbus was what we got... and I think we definitely used every second of that 36 hours to the fullest!

Started off the adventure with some Cards Against Humanity... funnest game ever.... could be funner if you're not ridiculously tired. You can't see the toothpicks holding my eyelids open in this picture, but I assure you, they're there.

Saturday morning, Peej lounging with Atticus- Andi and Blair's miniature horse

Saturday was my first shower, hosted by my wonderful Mother-in-Law. It was really cute- since we aren't finding out the gender of Lil G it was "boy/girl" themed- lot's of pinks and blues all around. We played a few games- including the "Poopy diaper game"- not sure if you've heard of this one, but essentially you melt a candy bar in a diaper and then people have to guess what the "contents" of the diaper are. It's pretty humorous to watch all of these grown women shoving their noses into a diaper filled with brown stuff. I did pretty well, only got one wrong. I guess that speaks for my candy consumption... whoops. Many of the people at this shower I hadn't seen since our wedding, or my bridal showers (this was nearly 8 years ago!!!), so it was great to see some of those long lost faces. 

Boy? Or Girl? Cake- with some pics of Jas and I as babies {with babies!} in the back

Amazing gift table! So humbled! 

Me gingerly opening a gift. 

Me and sissy

Me and Peej
Jason's brother Will, his dad, us, his mom

MK, Jas, Me and Lauren

Later that night we met up with my family and our beloved neighbors Lisa and Doug for dinner. It was so nice to have everyone together and catch up.
Jim and I had a belly showdown... I think he might have won! He makes that look good

Me and Dad

Lauren... and I just love that face.  Inquisitive, yet confused and slightly duckish all at the same time. Strong work, Elle, strong work.

My brothers and sister

Sunday was Andi's shower that she so graciously offered to host for me. It was a nice low key brunch with good friends, family, and great food. It was so nice to see some faces that I hadn't seen in a while, and catch up. I mixed and mingled... and considered consuming a mimosa but alas, I restrained. I've made it this long without a drink... what's another 9ish weeks?

Sara and I

Kat- who looked fabulous for having a baby of her own, just one month ago! 

My sister and "the little neighbor" Jillian, who is not so little anymore, and graduating college next week. 

Baby Daddy

Baby love.

Bestie.

After the party was over, a quiet moment on the porch. .. Sunday afternoon we all crashed from such a jam packed weekend

30 weeks {and a couple days}
Coming back to DC this time around was really difficult... and no, not just because of the 7 hour drive, with a 30+ weeks pregnant... I was really sad to go. I haven't been around much of my family through this pregnancy, so it was a lot of fun to share it with all of them. 

Getting home, unpacking the car, watching Jas unpack the car, I was again so touched by all of the outpouring of love and gifts that people gave to us this past weekend for Lil G. There isn't a doubt in my mind, that this kid will continually be surrounded by the absolute best group of friends and family someone could hope for, just like I was, growing up. 

So, here it is 430am, and I am going to post this blog. Ahhh, sleep!! Why do you evade me?! Ahhh well. Hopefully I can take a nice little afternoon nap. 

Until next time...


Comments