Your little hand's wrapped around my finger, and it's so quiet in the world tonight. Your eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming, so I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light. To you everything's funny, you got nothing to regret. I'd give all I have, honey- if you could stay like that. Oh darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up, just stay this little.



Ok, so I need to start out this post with a little of a brag... we had an unprecedented night last night and I just want to shout from the rooftops that not only did Evie spend her first night in her crib (she normally sleeps in a Moses basket in the crib), but she slept for a solid 7.5 hours before waking up! She's gradually been stretching out her long stretch of sleep... we were at 5, then 6, then 6.5 hours... then 7 the night before last, and then 7.5 hours last night! I could've cried! This body isn't used to so much sleep anymore, and I am just feeling so refreshed and energized today. I had to write a blog post. Go Ev, you rock.

Speaking of sleep... I have an app on my phone called "Sleep baby sleep" it was free! And it's really great! It plays hairdryer, clothes dryer and vacuum sounds, among others. Evie LOVES it! If she's particularly fussy we turn those sounds on and they calm her down. So I was telling my brother, Jim about this app... and he says "Oh, really? That's interesting. Do they have a vacuum sound so she can get used to it?" I took this as- get used to it, because she's going to be vacuuming! I went off on him (in a loving way, kind of) and said "Jim!!! NO! She is NOT going to be the little woman at home vacuuming!" He looked shocked and said "Steph, geez, no, that's not what I meant! I meant if you were vacuuming the house or something, so the sound wouldn't scare her. Geez." Teeheehee... whoops! I guess the only sound that app is missing is the Kitchen Aid stand mixer sound ;)

I cannot believe that my teenie tiny baby is going to be 10 weeks old tomorrow?! Where oh where does the time go? The summer is almost over, I have to return to work in a few weeks- and my once 4lb 14 oz baby is all the way up to nearly 11 lbs! Wowza!!

As Evelyn has been getting bigger, she's also been doing some other fun things. She's been working on her smile, certain things like pretending to sneeze will make her crack a smile every now and then... Or giggling. She is constantly looking around and taking in her surroundings. She loves to look at bright colors and when she's focusing she makes her "focus" face- and you think she's really trying to process whatever it is that she's seeing. Jason is most proud that she has begun to "hike her leg" up whenever she farts. I think it's not very lady like and I will be trying to break her of that habit post haste.

This little piggy has gotten very efficient in her eating! What once took 45 minutes per side, now takes about 15 minutes total. She chows down! Now with all that extra awake time (she's normally awake about 2 hours between naps) we are expanding her learning by introducing new objects, conversation (usually about what her future husband Prince George, is up to in the tabloids), and strengthening her head and neck muscles doing tummy time.

We have been following the methods outlined in Happiest Baby on the Block book (LOVE IT!!!), and in doing so, Ev has pretty much put herself on her own schedule. It's becoming more and more predictable, and it's working quite well for us. During the daytime she eats just about every 2-3 hours, and then at night she sleeps her long stretch, wakes up and eats from one side for about 10 minutes, then goes back to sleep for about 2 hours. Wakes up and eats a bit more from both sides and then takes a 3 hour morning nap. The worst part about this is that she doesn't really take any long naps in the afternoon. We've tried in vain to get her to sleep more in the PM, but the most we really get is about 45 minutes at a time. Consequently, she is a bit fussier in the evenings. So we try to do a lot of fun things to keep her attention. She really enjoys constant motion, so Jas and I have gotten some major bicep and quad work outs from toting around our tot. Hopefully, she'll grow out of this fussy period soon. It's a little rough.
So alert!
So sweet!
So attentive!
At Ev's 2 month check up she got her shots. Sweet thing didn't even cry with the first one, cried a bit with the second but was easily consoled with a little nursing. The worst part was about 4 hours after her shots- she had been sound asleep in her swing and just woke up hysterical and inconsolable. She spiked a temp and was just absolutely miserable. Her cry was unlike any of the cries I'd ever heard from her before, and it was clearly a cry of pain. Bless her heart. It sucked. Not looking forward to having to do it again in 2 mos.
Does not like the doctors office one bit!
I thought the shots were the worst experience of my life, no no... I was mistaken. The day after her shots we had to drive to Ohio for my brother's wedding. Oh-em-gee!!!! What normally takes about 7 hours, took 10.5!!! She was so fussy, and so sad and wouldn't nap. It was a nightmare. The return trip was much more strategic and it only took us 7.5 hours! We planned it around her morning sleep schedule and things really went swimmingly. Thank G! I swore I'd never travel with her again after the initial disaster. Phew!

Speaking of the wedding- Evie got to meet her Uncle Jim and Aunt Lauren on this trip! As well as many other Great Aunt's and Great Uncles! My brother's wedding was beautiful, and Evie now has an Aunt Beth! Welcome to the family! :)

The wedding was a lot of fun. Jason and I were busy with helping my family prep for the wedding all week- so unfortunately I didn't get to see my friends that I was hoping to see on the trip. :(

But all of our hard work was definitely worth it. The wedding turned out beautiful!

Painting votive holders with chalkboard paint
Final product! So happy with them! Quite laborious, but I would do anything in this world for my brother. 
Ev and I before the wedding- her little legs were cold in her dress, so I pulled her socks way up! Ha!!
First family wedding! 
Steph, Jas and baby under the nursing cover at the rehearsal dinner
Little Bug
MeMa and Evie
I have to admit, I'm not really looking forward to returning to work in a few weeks. Well, that's kind of a lie- I mean, I LOVE being a nurse, and I love using that part of my brain... and especially now, being in a department that allows people to expand their family is really special- but, I will miss the time with my "Little Bug." Jas and I were able to work out a schedule, which includes me working Friday, Saturday and Sunday night shifts so that I can watch the baby during the week, and he will take care of her while I work/sleep on the weekends. This is good because we won't need to worry about finding a nanny (or multiple nannies- my schedule is a bit unpredictable so finding someone who can work Mon/Wed one week, and then Tues/Fri the next is quite the challenge), we won't have the expense of a nanny (insanely expensive in the DC metro!), we won't have to worry about some psycho being responsible for our child... it will be just us! But, I'm not necessarily looking forward to having to give up my weekends- but sometimes you've got to do, what you've got to do. And I am thankful to work in a field that does have this type of flexibility. It will be nice to be back with my friends at work, and have some adult conversation once again, too!
Who would want to leave this face?!

I suppose that's it for now. Until next time...


Comments

  1. weekends? like.. are those different from the other days? just kidding:) I"m so glad you can be at home with your lil sweetie during the week. glad the trip went well:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment