There's always gonna be another mountain. I'm always gonna wanna make it move. Always gonna be an uphill battle, sometimes I'm gonna have to lose. Ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what's waiting on the other side... It's the climb.


So, today my friend Arabella and I went to a little 'Mama's get together' with our former neighbor, Kristin, and some of the other Mama's of Georgetown. Can I just say- it is so nice to get out of the house and have some adult conversation! OMG! This weather has been freaking killing me- to say we were going a bit stir crazy in our 1000 sq ft rowhouse is an understatement. As this little chickadee continues to grow, the more our confined {yet precious} home seems to swallow us up. BRING ON SPRING!

Anyhow, it was refreshing to me to hear some of the Mama's discuss the ups and downs that they have experienced. It makes you feel not as alone. Having a baby is totally awesome... much of the time, but not all the time. And I think that NOT being real about it is an injustice to other mama's and mama's to be. The struggle is real, y'all. The struggle is real.

For starters- babies are totally cute! They're cuddly! They smell good! They do cute things! They have adorable outfits! But, then- they don't. They have really smelly shits (especially when they start solids!). I legit have to hold my breath sometimes. Gone are the days of the nice, loosey goosey, mild scented poos. Sister moved up to turds. Sick.

They don't like to get dressed in those adorable outfits that you have been spending every extra dollar on. They hate having shit pulled over their head and so you find yourself- 90% of the time, leaving the baby in their PJ's. Wait a second, in the interest of being real, it's actually more like 99%... Who am I kidding? Hell, it's probably even less than that- truth be told, it's really only when you're going to see someone you don't know very well. So, let's go with the 99.9999%...

I actually chuckled to myself when I wrote "cuddly" because that is a MYTH with this girl. Evie wants NOTHING to do with cuddling and hasn't since she was 12 weeks old. She is the antithesis of cuddly. I hope she's not a sociopath...

I will say, most babies do smell good most of the time. BUT- when you're feeding them and their coordination isn't so great and they end up with sauteed garlic veggies in their hair, ears (um, yes!), ass crack (girlfriend- how in the hell did that end up there?!), skin folds... they don't smell so good then. And then you've got to get them in the bath. Oooh, but that's not before your baby gets pissed at you for taking them away from all the fun they were having spreading their veggies all over their body like Nutella. Smooth move, Ma.





And, yea, babies can be cute. But a hell of a lot of the time- they're not. They make some ugly faces. But you still love them anyway... you're just sure not to share any of those horribly, unflattering pics with your friends... because you can't be THAT girl, with the ugly baby. Ya know.



They do cute things... kind of. I mean, a baby sneeze is totally cute. It's such a cute little sound. But it's not so cute when they sneeze all over you, and then suddenly that giant booger that you've been eyeing in your babies nose all day, has now suddenly gone missing... This just happened today, btw. Holla!

One other thing that I've noticed no one wants to talk about, is your mate! Your partner! Your spouse! Your boyfriend! Your girlfriend! Your whatever! I always love those loving family portraits- everyone just looks so blissfully happy, and I sit back and snicker and say to myself 'how many hours did it take to get that shot?!' Truth be told, it ain't bliss. It's some hard freaking work. Many days I have to remind myself that Jas probably had a rough day at work too, and I'm not the only one that worked today. I find myself gravitating to this whole notion of 'Oh, you think you had it rough? Were you up to your elbows in feces, with a screeching, inconsolable infant who wouldn't nap all day despite your best efforts? Oh, no? Ok, well talk to me later when you know what I've been through all day.' And then I fantasize about punching him in the face. Did I just say that?

After I talk myself down from my rager, Jas and I have become pros at talking things out (but it's taken a hell of a lot of work to get to this point). I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to explain myself... and it goes something like this: "I'm sorry that I lashed out at you. I've had a very difficult day with a screaming, sad, baby and I'm jealous of you and your day away from this house.' Yea. The good with the bad. We took our vows 8 years ago, and I know that Jas has definitely had to struggle with honoring those when I'm in the middle of a rager. Bless his heart- he does. And he usually tries to make me feel better with an apology and a slice of pie from Pie Sisters. Mmm, pie... dammit, I digress..

The struggle is real.



I wouldn't trade Evie for anything in the world... but I'm not going to put up a front and say that every single second is bliss, because that's bullshit. And homey don't play that. So, if you're like me and you find yourself anxiously awaiting Papa bears arrival home so you can get 2 minutes of peace to be able to drop a deuce- own it! If you're like me, and you love your significant other to the moon and back, but sometimes need to gently remind yourself of that fact, when you're ready to cut a bitch- own it! You're not alone. It's a climb.

Until next time... Oh yea, please don't forget to click on the 'Top Mommy Blogs' icon on the right. I still haven't figured out how to do it from a cell phone... Sorry friends! When I do, I will let you know.

Comments

Post a Comment