But, no one is ever gonna love you more than I do... No one's gonna love you more than I do. And anything to make you smile, it's my better side of you to admire...
Love is a many splendored thing.
| Little throwback for ya... 2004! Woohoo! My loves! |
I have been beyond blessed to have all of the love that I do in my life. 2 weeks ago I got to spend a glorious weekend surrounded by my loves to celebrate Evie's baptism! It was such a great event. Here are some pics from the big day!
Evie has been super blessed by having not 2- but 4 Godparents! When I called the church to see if that would be a problem the woman who handles baptisms said "No problem at all! It takes a village!" Those words could not be more true.
Thankfully, we are surrounded by a truly amazing village.
Andi & Blair are a darling couple... And Andi and I have been friends since 8th grade. We have grown closer over the years, and I absolutely cannot imagine NOT having her be one of Evie's Godmother's. She loves Evie to bits- and always makes sure she has the cutest most fashionable wardrobe items (who can forget her "Cute like my Auntie" outfit with matching tutu?!). She flew to be by my side shortly after delivery and wanted to clean the house and organize closets- but Jas had already done it all! She is one of my best friends, and to give her an official "Auntie" title to Ev, is the absolute least I can do. And, Blair is her wonderful husband whom I have grown to adore over the years. I love his thoughtful and philosophical nature. I have had some really intellectual conversations with B, and I have always enjoyed them. His love of children is so cool, too! And, lastly- his patience is second-to-none... putting up with mine and Andi's antics is challenge enough... and he has always managed to do so. He will be a tremendously positive male influence in Evie's life. I'm sure he will be full of sage advice, and will be waiting at the door with Jas when her first date arrives to take her out. Andi and Blair make a great team, and a wonderful set of Godparents for Evie.
Alex and I have been friends since good ol' Hurricane Ike in 2008. It displaced Alex and her husband Martin out of their home in Galveston... and long story made incredibly short- they came to live with us (after Jas suggested we invite them in). I was highly reluctant, but I'm so glad he knew it would be the right decision for us- because my relationship with her has grown into one I simply could not live without. They moved back to Germany from Texas at the end of 2009, and I was just devastated. We have kept in touch over the years, and I have been to Germany twice since she moved back. Prior to having children we Skyped on a near weekly basis. Now, we "WhatsApp" several times a week. She is an amazing friend, and even better mother to her 17 month old son. Evie is lucky to have her as a Godmother (or Patentante in German), and I'm certain she will be a continual positive influence on Evie and her life. I think with Alex being German, it will help Evie become more cultured... I'm already looking into German immersion schools... much to Jason's chagrin.
To give PJ the official title of Godfather clearly meant so much to him. He wears the role of Uncle like a badge of honor. Ever since I found out I was pregnant, Peej has made every effort to be a part of Lil G's life. When I delivered and he found out I'd had a girl he started brainstorming what we would do at Disney World with a girl (he was convinced the baby was going to be a boy). He finally settled on a day at the Princess Salon- to make Evelyn into a Disney Princess. He is literally counting down the days until she is old enough to go to Disney. And, I have absolutely no doubts that he will be there... for not only that, but so many moments in Evie's life. When I imagine Evie in the future, Peej is always there. For her biggest milestones: school play, gymnastics meet, graduations... And for that, we are eternally grateful. Evie doesn't know how lucky she is to have him... But someday she will.
Peej surprised us at Evie's baptism luncheon with a beautifully written toast. I'm posting it here. His words were so heartfelt and true.
"It takes a village to raise a child" may be an overused cliche to minimize the astounding amount not of only human capital but also the great amount of emotional and relationship effort that is needed to raise a child in our world today.
But if we look around this room, it is more than evident that the "it takes a village" statement could not be truer. In fact, I would say it takes a village of Super Heroes to raise a child. Because this village right here- each of you are super heroes with super powers.
Jason and Steph- Evelyn Kate is fortunate to have each of these amazing people as part of her village. Some of us were born part of Evie's village and others of us were chosen to be part of her village.
Regardless of how we got here, each of us will be able to contribute our unique "super power" --
those things that make each of us special for Evie- our humor, our experience, our discipline- when needed- some of us will be teaching her Spanish, others German, - all of you have your unique super power- the special kisses from a grandparent (or great grandparent) that makes all boo boos feel much better- or the special times with aunts and uncles where Evie can break all the rules and Steph and Jason never know about it... all those things Evie needs, each of you will be contributing: weekend phone calls, homework help, special birthday parties, money for those school fund raisers, I really could go on for hours with all the "super powers" each of us will bring to the table - all these things each of us bring to the table to give her the best chance possible to let her grow into a strong independent woman ready to humbly make this world a better place.
We are all very fortunate to be blessed by God in such a way. Really, this is a Divine privilege and for that we thank God.
Jason, Steph, Evie- take a moment to feel the love in this room. In fact there is so much love I'm surprised the walls aren't about to burst - must be good Ohio state school of engineering work...
But really, know that this love you feel is something you get to take back home with you.
Many of us are not close physically, but we're still there. Loving you guys and loving Evie. Shining our light.
So I'll close with these short verses from Marc Wambolt, Poems from the Heart
“I may not always be with you
But when we're far apart
Remember you will be with me
Right inside my heart”
― Marc Wambolt, Poems from the Heart
But if we look around this room, it is more than evident that the "it takes a village" statement could not be truer. In fact, I would say it takes a village of Super Heroes to raise a child. Because this village right here- each of you are super heroes with super powers.
Jason and Steph- Evelyn Kate is fortunate to have each of these amazing people as part of her village. Some of us were born part of Evie's village and others of us were chosen to be part of her village.
Regardless of how we got here, each of us will be able to contribute our unique "super power" --
those things that make each of us special for Evie- our humor, our experience, our discipline- when needed- some of us will be teaching her Spanish, others German, - all of you have your unique super power- the special kisses from a grandparent (or great grandparent) that makes all boo boos feel much better- or the special times with aunts and uncles where Evie can break all the rules and Steph and Jason never know about it... all those things Evie needs, each of you will be contributing: weekend phone calls, homework help, special birthday parties, money for those school fund raisers, I really could go on for hours with all the "super powers" each of us will bring to the table - all these things each of us bring to the table to give her the best chance possible to let her grow into a strong independent woman ready to humbly make this world a better place.
We are all very fortunate to be blessed by God in such a way. Really, this is a Divine privilege and for that we thank God.
Jason, Steph, Evie- take a moment to feel the love in this room. In fact there is so much love I'm surprised the walls aren't about to burst - must be good Ohio state school of engineering work...
But really, know that this love you feel is something you get to take back home with you.
Many of us are not close physically, but we're still there. Loving you guys and loving Evie. Shining our light.
So I'll close with these short verses from Marc Wambolt, Poems from the Heart
“I may not always be with you
But when we're far apart
Remember you will be with me
Right inside my heart”
― Marc Wambolt, Poems from the Heart
This little girl is no doubt loved. And we, as her parents, are so fortunate to have our family, friends and our family of choice to be beside all 3 of us as we continue this journey. I'm so thankful for our village.


























Comments
Post a Comment