Say oh, got this feeling that you can't fight, like this city is on fire tonight, this could really be a good life...a good, good life

It's been a while since I've posted- and with good reason... we've been ridiculously busy and we don't get our cable/internet til tomorrow. But I'm sure many of you are curious how things are going so I thought I'd fill you in... No pics until Sat. though...

The drive was long insanely long. I really don't know how people (truck drivers in particular) do these long hauls all of the time. I would go nuts. Anyway, we made it to DC Monday afternoon...we picked up our keys, dropped off the items that were in our car and headed to my Aunt Debbie and Uncle Moe's house. My aunt is about 35 miles away... in Texas 35 miles away means 35 minutes unless you're in traffic. In DC 35 miles means even in "light" traffic you're still looking at an hour and fifteen minute trek...which is usually going to be at least an hour and a half and if you're going during rush hour-leave yourself a good 2 hours. Ahhhh DC. I don't think I had any idea what a lifestyle change this was going to be... but more on that later.

So, Tuesday morning Jas and I got up bright and early and left my aunt and uncles to head back to DC to meet the movers. They thought they may be arriving around 9... well, they had to off load everything off of the tractor trailer truck onto a smaller truck to try to get through these DC streets (they are very narrow) and apparently word on the street is we have a lot of stuff so it took a while...they didn't get here til noon. Once they got here though, it was like a scene out of a movie: there is nowhere to park this big, huge truck, so the driver is literally taking up part of the street and cars are having to go around them... on the other side of the street they are doing construction and 2 doors down we clearly have a crazy lady on our hands... so while our mover is trying to figure out where to park his truck this neighbor lady (who has had one too many plastic surgeries-her face looks a bit like the cat lady , comes out, ear plugs in hand, arms waving "what's all that noise"- I, being my chipper, friendly self walked up and introduced myself as her new neighbor and explained that  we were moving in... she continued on about how loud everything was, and I continued to change the subject. Throughout the course of our move-in horns would be honked, yelling would be occurring and pretentious neighbors would be screaming to have the moving truck moved so that they could make their "tennis time"- true story.

At one point throughout the course of this move Jason and I looked at each other and in unison said "what did we get ourselves into??!?" Our queen boxsprings would not fit up the stairs, nor would our dresser. So, instead of a dresser, we now have a buffet in the dining room and my sweet aunt and uncle picked up (and delivered within a matter of only a few hours mind you!) a folding boxspring set that worked like a champ. Needless to say, we slept like babies that night.

The next day began the unpacking of over 90 boxes. Yes, 90. OMG. The moral of this story- don't keep a lot of crap you don't need...and if you're moving, you need to really go through and decide BEFORE you move what you need and don't need. This whole after the move thing, not smart.

We feel a bit out of place on our street- lots of people with big, big money... Jas and I spend time speculating as to what these people do for a living. Many of them are home much of the day, living in these ridiculously huge row houses. We would like to follow suit... We haven't seen our notorious "famous" neighbor yet... I'm sure we will soon enough though.

On Wed. we made our first trip to the grocery store... I can honestly say that was the first time I ever had to take an elevator to get into the grocery...it was quite the experience. All of the parking is below the store...if you're carrying your items you can take the escalator, if you're using a cart you take the elevator. Bizarre. But, it was a lovely, HUGE grocery story...and its quite close.

Now, onto the lifestyle change: We needed a few household items, so to get to a Target we literally need to drive to Maryland or Virginia because there isn't one close...and parking in this city is a joke. The CVS up the corner charges $3 for 20 minutes of parking. Wow. What a deal?! It used to be, if we needed something we would just hop in the car and go get it. Now, we will be walking nearly everywhere... but the big, huge super stores that we're used to we'll save for the weekends when we drive out of the city. Oh, and we won't be filling up our gas tank in the city- the cheapest I've seen in the DC area is $4.29/gal. Also, our kitchen is crazy small...we don't have a pantry, so gone are the days of hoarding food. I will now be making frequent trips to the grocery store to get us through a few days or the week. All of this is a good thing...it's just a HUGE change from how we were living before. It's going to a simpler life I think, with less clutter and more quality time.

Jas flies back to Houston on Monday, that's going to be rough, but I'm confident I'll survive and be just fine. We're off to Ikea now... hollar cheap, light, easily portable furniture! Woohoo.

Comments